Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

It's Leap Day today. I look at it as kind of an extra day that I don't normally get to have. I figure with a whole extra 24 hours that I don't normally get, I would be a lot less rushed and frazzled and I think that's the case. Today I'm going to hug my kids a little bit more and give my wife some nice long kisses. I'm going to make the most of my extra day. I'm going to smile and have fun. Later I'm going to take my bike upstairs and lean it on the edge of the couch. Later I'm going for a ride.

It won't be a long ride or a hard one. It's going to be short and easy. Partly because it's been snowing off and on all day and will probably be raining or snowing or both once I finally get out there on the road. It is going to be windy and cold. Not just one windy but too windy. Cloudy also. And I'm going to enjoy myself out in the winter air on my new(er) bike. I'm going to ride for an hour or less and probably only cover 15 to 16 miles. Maybe even only 13 miles. It's going to be great.

I look at this free day as a gift and I want to make the most of it. It's not just another day - it's a day that I don't normally get. It's a perfect opportunity to sharpen my focus on what's important to me. To be a better friend. To be a better father and to be a better husband. A day to calm down and focus on what really matters. I want to give it my best shot. I'm going to try to do that today. That's why I need to spend at least about an hour on my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment