Monday, February 6, 2012

Obey The Rules

Sunday 5 February 2012 - 01:46

I'm going to spend a week and obey the rules. That's Rule #1 after all so I will put forth 100% effort. I'm not talking about Rule #14 or Rule #54 or The Rules or even The New Rules. I'm talking about something different and I'm going to hold myself accountable right here. I passed a sign on my last ride outside of an Anytime Fitness location. It said "no ifs no ands no ugly butts." Closer to home I passed another. It said "is your gut trying to tell you something?"

It was a sign. Actually two signs. So I'm going to go to bed now and obey a rule I have about rest which I'll share with you later in the week. Tomorrow I'm going to get up and weigh myself, report it here and chronical my diet and exercise over the course of this next week. As I go through this, I'm going to share my "Fitness Rules" with you here (there are 7) and together we will see what a week of obeying the rules will bring.

Fitness Rule #1 - That which gets measured gets improved.

This rule is absolute truth. Whether it's work or fitness or anything else in life, if you don't measure something it will either not improve or improve so slowly and haphazardly that it will be close to meaningless. If you have a goal and you want to reach it you will need to measure your progress. Not measuring is safe. Not measuring is easy. So like most anything worthwhile, improving will take some effort.

I'm not going to have a rule about setting goals. If you are someone who needs a rule about that, shame on you. Hit Google and you'll find tons of info that can help you get started there. My goal for this week is to lose 6 pounds and if you follow along, I think you will enjoy what you can learn about diet and fitness and if it helps you with your life then I feel like I have accomplished something worthwhile. Your feedback will be how I measure that, so please leave some comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment